The small town of Clarens is situated in the Free State of South Africa and on the border with Lesotho – about 3 hours drive from Gauteng and Bloemfontein and 4 hours from Durban.
Clarens, surrounded by magnificent sandstone mountains ( Rooiberge ) is one of the most beautiful places in SA.
To name just a few activities one can partake in :
- Numerous hiking trails in and around Clarens and on surrounding farms.
- Visit some of the numerous sandstone caves for Bushmen paintings.
- Visit Golden Gate Nature Reserve – very close to Clarens.
- Game viewing – also lions – on various farms.
- GNU Open Vehicle Safari’s.
- Horse riding, fly fishing, bird watching.
- River rafting, quad bike trails, 4 x 4 trails, abseiling, mountain bikes.
- Dinosaur fossil hunting with Dr. Groenewald.
- Visit the Katse Dam in nearby Lesotho.
- Clarens is also home to many artists who sell their work either from home or in one of the numerous galleries.
- We have at least 20 excellent restaurants, pubs and coffee shops, 10 or more galleries and too many to count, craft shops.
Contact Mountain Odyssey – 058 256 1173 for more detail and bookings for above mentioned activities.
* Grocery shops * A.T.M. s * Petrol * Farm stall * Butchery * Bakery * Health Shop * Liquor Stores * Pharmacy * etc.